Home | Login and Logout | Basic Command Line Commands | File System | File Editing Through Terminal | Java Programs | Input/Output Redirection | Grep | Works Cited
Logging in and out in linux can be done through several methods:
1) Walk up to an empty computer terminal in a linux computer lab and press any key for the computer to wake up to get started.
2) Enter your CS username in the username box.
3) Enter your CS account password in the password box.
4) You are now logged in!
1) Press the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2) Click logout towards the bottom of the menu.
3) You are now logged out!
1) To remotely login to a linux computer using ssh, you will need an ssh client to use. On windows you will need to download a ssh client while on mac or linux you can simply open up the terminal that is included by default. Some recommendations for windows ssh clients include:
ssh [CS USERNAME]@best-linux.cs.wisc.edu, then press enter.
1) Type logout in terminal.
2) You are now logged out!
Written by: Daniel Amusin, Derek DeCramer, Nikhil Thammadi